The Pacific Rim Peninsula is awe inspiring to new comers and locals alike. There is endless exploring to be done and constant new experiences to be had. Here are a couple of experiences that are a MUST if you’d like fully take in the culture and life in Tofino and the surrounding Clayoquot Sound.
1. CHESTERMAN BEACH AT SUNSET. Grab a bottle of wine, a pair of rubber boots, and your partner in crime (whether it’s your significant other or your pooch) and head to Chesterman Beach around 8:30. There are 3 accesses with parking to Chesterman Beach along Lynn Road. Stroll out to Frank Island if the tide is low or have a seat on some drift wood and watch the waves dance in the setting sun. The colors in the sky cannot be justified with words.
2. TRY YOUR HAND AT COOKING SEAFOOD. One of the most interesting ways to indulge in the west coast is by diving into some seafood. Take the experience even further and cook it yourself. It’s surprisingly simple and fast. No need to get too complicated. Grab some dill, veggies and bread from Green Soul Organics. You can get fresh fish, crab, and shellfish at Trilogy Fish Co. Clams are pretty easy if you’re a first timer. Just ask the clerk at Trilogy Fish how to cook your seafood because there are a few dos and don’ts.
3. GET OUT ON THE WATER. Tofino is not very big, but Clayoquot Sound is huge. Get out and explore it! Come into West Coast Aquatic Safaris and one of our helpful staff will steer you towards the right tour for you, whether it’s a Whale Watching tour, Bear Watching tour, or one of our romantic Sunset Dinner Cruises. First class boats at a comfortable price.
4. SURFING. Surfing is for all walks of life. We are lucky to have it so readily available to us here on the West Coast. If you are new to surfing or perhaps just curious about getting in the water, there are plenty of surf lessons available here in town. You can stop in and chat with one of the girls from Surf Sister to get information on lesson times and rates and to rent gear. Go out, get wet, and have some fun in the waves. Or if you are more of a land lover type, a good place to sit back and watch surfers in action is Cox Bay or Long Beach.
5. EXPLORE THE RAIN FOREST. Put on your hiking boots and choose one of the many breath taking (literally) walks through the trees. Surround yourself with the smell of towering cedar, sitka, and hemlock trees. You’ll see every possible shade of green you could imagine. Check out a map of the the local hiking trails HERE.
Have fun. Relax, and enjoy the slower pace of Tofino.